by Jonathan Berry

There is an extensive system of post compulsory education and training in New Zealand. This includes universities, polytechnics, teacher training, and various private education institutions (PTE). . Higher, degree-level education is mainly offered at universities. Programmes are research-led and generally academic, as distinct from vocational. . Vocational degree level education is offered at polytechnics and a few larger PTEs.

Universities: There are eight universities in New Zealand, providing a wide array of subject area studies at all levels from bachelor‘s through doctoral degrees. All universities offer courses. in the usual faculties of arts, science, and commerce. Most universities specialize in certain fields.

Polytechnics: Polytechnics provide a diverse range of academic, vocational, and: professional programs and cover an increasing number of subjects at various levels of specialisations. There are 23 polytechnics in New Zealand, Polytechnics, which are more career-focused than universities, offer certificates, bachelor's degrees, master's degrees and some doctoral degrees.

Bachelor's degrees take from three to four years to complete, depending on the subject, with Honours degrees typically taking a year longer. Master's degrees can be earned in one to two years and doctoral degrees are available at the universities and some polytechnics.

Private training establishments: which provide vocational training, offer diplomas, certificates and some degrees, with the focus on getting the student into the workforce quickly. There are large numbers of private training establishments (PTEs) in New Zealand, of which about 800 are registered with the New Zealand Qualifications Authority (NZQM).

International students can choose to apply as full degree students, as exchange students through their current schools or as independent study abroad students who will attend for only one or two semesters.

Admissions requirements for degree programs vary by country and university and in some cases require students to have already completed some college and/or have received above average scores on standardized tests in their own country. Some universities also offer foundation level coursework to prepare students for a degree program if they don‘t qualify for a degree program initially. Those whose primary language is not English may have to pass a standardized language exam.

The New Zealand Government has put in place strong national quality assurance systems designed to help institutions maintain the quality and consistency of training and assessment programmes. All courses, programmes and ‘qualifications offered by registered providers must be approved by the NZQA. Education providers (such as English language schools) that are not registered with NZQA cannot offer an officially recognised course. New Zealand Immigration will not issue a permit unless for an approved course.

Professional Degree programs

If you are undertaking a professional graduate degree program, then note that you may need to get accreditation from the professional bodies back home once you return back home. It is best to contact the accreditation (regulating) body for your specific country prior to commencing your studies in the UK.

Information sourced from various channels. Education NZ, etc

Want to study in New Zealand? then don't wait. SEARCH for a top course via our database and get in touch with hundreds of institutions today.